Sunday, March 2, 2008

Glad we got those snorkels!

We are in Cozumel, we got here Friday afternoon. On Saturday, we met up with Karl and Teresa, (Adrian knew Karl from his previous travels) who were docking in Cozumel from a cruise. We walked around the main boardwalk a little, and then went snorkeling!! Our first of the trip so we were excited...We got to use our new snorkels! So we set off in the boat and the guide goes over just a couple of things, mainly-the sign of frantically waving your hands over your head=help...
Since I´ve snorkled before I didn´t think too much of it so we all hop off the boat and start swimming around. And you know that your snorkle never fits right until after a few adjustments, so after a few minutes I stopped to readjust my mask. Just as I am putting in back on my head I feel the snorkel fall off and start sinking in the water!! I see it just about 6 feet below the surface so I try to swim down and grab it...I missed. So I get a little nervous and pissed at the same time-I mean, that´s my new snorkle! So I start the HELP wave, but I notice the whole group has kinda ditched me...But they noticed pretty quickly. They guide comes swimming back over, and I´m expecting just to swim back to the boat to borrow a new snorkle. Instead he asks where I dropped it, and before I know it, the guide just dove down 25 ft. to the bottom and scooped it up for me!!! I was amazed!!! That was only the first time he did this, as the day went on he proceeded to swim down to disrupt schools of fish, swim through a hole in the coral...Basically crazy things I did not attempt.
Anyways, we saw some cool fish...It´s just so fun to see what goes on underwater...
Cozumel is a nice island with gorgeous beaches, but you do have to rent a car or moped to get to them. We did that this afternoon and will go back tomorrow morning for some more swimming and snorkeling before we head out of Cozumel.

No comments: