Friday, February 22, 2008

Change of Plans

I know last time I wrote I think I mentioned that we would head to another site of ruins at Coba. We completely changed our minds and went north instead (it´s always fun to go to unplanned places like this). We were checking out the map & debating it...and we picked out a town on the Northern coast of the Yucatan called Rio Lagartos. It was in a Bioreserve, and that was the only thing we knew about it. We made it there and the town was this adorable sleepy little town on the ocean, or rather, a lagoon...I think. There are uninhabited mangrove islands surrounding the seaside town. We found a place that gives boat tours along the river that divides the two pieces of land. And we made a couple of new friends, Mark and Jo, a couple from England that did the tour with us (which also brought the cost down for us!). The guide took us through the river and we saw a ton of amazing birds, cranes, pelicans, storks, crocidiles, and a huge pink flamingo colony. There were manmade salt flats that attracted the flamingoes at one end of the river-and there were hundreds of them just hanging out in these shallow salt ponds! It was pretty cool...The amount of flamingoes in the ponds also caused the water to turn pinkish...From there our guide took us to another section of the salt flats that we could swim in, and because of the high salt concentration, we would be bouyant. It was so cool!! We called it the Mexican Dead Sea...You would just lean back slowly, and with no effort at all you were floating around. You could flip your body over in one motion, and still be floating!! It was a pretty funny feeling. In the same area, they have this well known section of clay underneath the surface of the sand that people harvested to make skin creams with. So, needless to say, we spread it all over ourselves and had our own little natural spa session. I mean, we covered ourselves in this gray clay-you´ll just have to see the pictures. I´m sure you can imagine how silly you can get throwing and putting mud all over yourselves! But after this stuff dried, it was pretty difficult to get off :) It was such a fun day! We saw so many cool birds, and who doesn´t love being on a boat?
We hung out with our new friends, and persuaded them to then come to Isla Holbox with us, which is where I am right now. It´s a little island off the northern coast as well, but west of Rio Lagartos. I had read a little article about the island and heard a few good things, but also we really didn´t know too much about it. Apparently practically the whole island was wiped out by a hurricane 2 years ago, and you can definetly see a lot of rebuilding going on. But again, it´s a great little island! It´s so small and underdeveloped that they don´t allow cars on the island. People get around by golfcarts! It´s a funny site at first, all these golf carts driving on the sand roads all over town. Today we rented one for a couple of hours to further explore the beaches. It was great to drive to areas where there was nothing but sand and beautiful water...The ocean had these great sandbars off the shore that you could swim out to and just hang there. It´s a very relaxing, chill town with not much going on. We´re enjoying it! The couple we brought with us is also enjoying it, after the first couple of hours being here they had already decided to stay a third night. I´m not even sure what our next plan is. Maybe we will leave tomorrow, maybe Sunday.
I just got back from the beach where I did a little yoga...I was trying to get away from people but that can´t be avoided on a nice beach. I´m sure I looked a little crazy, but I don´t know anyone! It was good to stretch my muscles a little but I have to work on the logisitics a little, I got so much sand on myself, which is fine usually but I had already showered :( Oh well....
At the moment I am probably just babbling on, but I can´t get to my email! Not sure what´s going on. The internet is working, but I just can´t get to the login page. Driving me crazy!

No comments: