Sunday, February 17, 2008

So it begins!

Hey everyone!!! I´m back...It´s been a few days I haven´t written, so I guess that means the excitement level has picked up here on the road :) We are now in Playa del Carmen, a beach town 1 hour south of Cancun. It´s such a great little town, with a great village with a walkway lined with cute shops, great bars, and of course, right on the beach. We got into town Friday and immediately went to meet up with a friend of AC´s who happened to be in Playa for the weekend. We met them on the beach, & hung out with them & their friends. It was nice to be relaxing on the beach for the first time! Took our first swim of the trip...Someone tried to tell me the water was cold, but it really was no comparison for New England ocean temps :) Went out that night with a bunch of those people, and people from the hostel (which is very cool by the way, the rooms are arranged around this big open area with couches and hammocks for people to hang out it, very funky!) Yesterday, (Saturday) we went to Tulum, a site of ancient Mayan ruins. It was very cool. Cool looking buildings, amazingly located on a cliff above a gorgeous beach. You will see my pictures of it very shortly. We walked around trying to avoid the millions of iguanas lurking there and took in the scenery, and then went swimming. It was great! What a place for ancient ruins! I´m sure the Mayans also enjoyed being right on the beach!
So today it´s Sunday and we thought we would relax in Playa and get back to our computer updates all done. It´s been fun so far, but at times a little frustrating for me and my sub-par Spanish. I just need to speak it, that´s all! No time to be frustrated about it, the only way I won´t be is when I practice and get good at it. I don´t want to rely on AC for translations all the time, it´s too easy to do that. The other funny, but major things to get used to is the toilet paper situation...You can NOT put your tp in the toilet...which is hard to train yourself to do after 31 years of doing so....I guess the drains here can´t handle it, but I certainly don´t want to be the one breaking the toilets anywhere. Let´s hope that doesn´t happen! and the food...I have been having too many little tacos here, which I´m not sold on yet...Maybe it´s the strange cheeses...I´m looking forward to making a grilled cheese sandwich later! I think tomorrow we will head to Chichen Itza, and hopefully to come cool cenotes. More updates later!

1 comment:

Kimmy said...

Hey Jodi! Sounds awesome so far! Relaxing on the beach sounds wonderful especially in comparison to our rainy weather here. By the way - love the pink blog design. I can't wait to see the pictures of the ruins. Did you happen to see any chupacabra? Be on the look out! Miss ya!