Tuesday, February 26, 2008

More good times

So at the moment we are in Isla Mujeres, an island off the coast of Yucatan, extremely close to Cancun. It is a tiny little island that many people only do day trips here from Cancun. We got here after an afternoon of travelling, do it was great to see another cool hostel setup. The place has a huge hacienda type common area, a beach bar-it's pretty cool. Unfortunately I had a few too many drinks with very cheap liquor which did not sit well with my today...So I didn't mind lounging most of my day away in the hammock recovering. We did make it down to the beach this afternoon to enjoy the beautiful water. I like going to the beach a little later anyway so it is not as hot. Even though I am getting a tan, noone likes to be scorched! Today I noticed the faint likes of the tell-tale flip flop lines on my feet and got very excited....I'm sure you understand :)
Today I also finished a ginormous book I had been reading-The Chronicles of Narnia (I can hear CD in my mind doing her fave SNL rap about it now). SS bought this book for m birthday a year or two ago and never takled it until now. And it was a big decision to lug that huge book around with me, I mean it takes up a lot of space and it is heavy! Nevertheless, I thought of how good I would feel when I finished it and could exchange it for a much smaller size book...And I just finished it about 1 hour ago. A pretty good book...Now I remember why I liked it as a kid and why I named 5 different hamsters in a row Aslan (the main lion character)! I recommend it, and if anyone wants to come pick it up in Mexico, you can have my copy:) While I was reading it today, a lizard fell from the thached roof above me right onto the page I was reading! So of course I yelled and dropped the book...Then I was worried that I squished the lizard in the pages-that size book could do some serious damage....No worries, he got away-but I was a little worried that more creatures would fall on my head (I also forgot to mention that a seagul pooped on me 2 days ago!).
And I have another thought to add to my list of complaints about bathrooms here...The Mexican people don't seem to think that shower curtains or stalls would be a very sensible thing to have in our bathrrom. It's just the toilet, sink, and an area to shower in, that is not at all separated from the rest of the bathroom. You take a shower and everything get soaked! You need to actually take the precious roll of toilet paper out of the bathroom so it doesn't get soaked while you shower!! Also, the floor gets flooded. There is no point in using a bathmat, as that gets soaked, so you think just wearing flip flops in there will help. Until the little dirt on our flip flops then make mudprints everywhere. It's really annoying... And it makes no sense to me...I will not get used to that...
One more random note. Postcards are being phased out of existence. I have just walked around this little beach town, and I thought I would have so many to chose from, in almost every store. Not so much....I could only find a few, and they were kind of ugly to begin with. But I will send some along, as soon as I find some stamps!! Baby steps here people...Ok we are off to ride our bikes around Isla Mujeres.

2 comments:

Kimmy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kimmy said...

You frickin' crack me up! Okay - my list of things in your care package so far include a toilet seat, a shower curtain and something to keep birds and small creature away from you. Hey - that bathroom set up was the same in Malaysia and our apt in Florence. My dad thought the design was great because you could shower and go to the bathroom at the same time. Jodi - be more efficient! I had shower flip flops and dry flip flops outside the bathroom to avoid tracking water and ultimately dirt/mud everywhere. It totally annoyed me too! I hear ya sistah!