Wednesday, February 27, 2008

It is ok to relax, still

I´m sitting in Isla Mujeres trying to stay out of the wind, sandstorm that is outside. It´s a little chilly today, for when I woke up and dressed to get some breakfast, my tank top and shorts were actually not enough! I have changed into pants and a light sweatshirt, so I am glad that I packed them. Since it´s so windy and crappy out today, and there is not much else to do on the island, (we already beached it, biked it, walked it-it´s pretty small)I am doing a lot of reading...which is nice. I enjoy reading, but it´s not often that you have so much time to do it, without feeling guilty that you should be doing other things. I am even reading a book about a woman traveling in Italy and she is struggling with the idea of relaxing, and not doing anything but enjoying yourself, so it is very fitting. If you get a chance, I recommend the book, called Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I have decided to make it my mission to read good quality books on this journey, and I should include the old classics as well, if I can get my hands on them. There is an adorable bookstore-cafe in the block near our hostel called Mañana. I have already exchanged one book there and found it such an adorable place to get a delicious licuado (smoothie) and chill and read.
As I mentioned, yesterday we biked around the island. It was great to see, but ridiculously hard to ride on a shitty mountain bike with no gears. The tiniest of hills seemed mammoth, and it didn´t help we were riding into a headwind! We got to the Punta Sur of the island (south point) and they had the smallest ruin there, well, the last 5 feet of a ruin that was previously there. Then they went and put all these weird art sculptures on the point right next to the ruin. It was so strange, and it did ruin the view, not to mention you had to pay to look at them-which we didn´t. The return ride was easier, and we finally found a beach you could swim in, for the beaches around the point were unswimmable. Last night we listened to a great salsa, bongo, jazz band play at the hostel....That´s the updates for now. Tomorrow we will head back to Tulum I think. Ciao!

No comments: