Monday, February 18, 2008

Mayan Ruins!

Today we went to Chichen Itza, another site of ancient Mayan ruins. It was not on the beach like beautiful Tulum but it´s so much bigger! The central pyramid is really amazing to look at. And I had even been here before, when I was about 12. I was impressed then & again today. But you could not climb on any of the ruins, which I definetly did as a youngster. It was insane too, the steps were so little and close together with nothing to hold onto-it was actually really scary! It would have made a big difference to be able to climb them today, but it was still cool to look at. We really lucked out in being able to do that before. AC and I enjoyed it, it´s so amazing to be around such history...How did they build such impressive buildings?!
We are staying in this town of Vallalodid tonight, we came here because it was close to the ruins. I have never seen such a little town with so many shoe stores! Seriously...I wasn´t too thrilled about this town during the day but it has transformed at night (that still doesn´t make it sound great, though). It looks so much cuter,but maybe just because we walked another block and found a very cute park that was bustling even at night.
I must mention this one gross tidbit...they don´t have toilet seats on the toilets!!! ugh...I hope this isn´t the only town I encounter this in, but I am afraid it might not be. Toilet seats cannot be that expensive...One highlight though, we got a great lunch of a quarter of a chicken, tortillas and rice for only $1.30. Now that´s my kind of budget, tasty meal!
Tomorrow we will most likely head to Coba, a smaller site of Mayan ruins to check that out.
I love getting emails and pics from home. I know I haven´t been gone long at all but I still love it. I know for a fact that it will be a necessity for me as the time goes on, just to stay connected back home. I just got some funny pictures of my neices and nephews sliding down an ice mound in Massachusetts and it just made me crack up. It made my night :) Keep them coming!

1 comment:

Kara said...

hey jojo
sounds like you are having fun. sooo jealous!! stay safe!
love
kara